~ Sterling & Gold ~ wear, store, wear store, repeat...
- Yes, sterling silver naturally tarnishes, especially when exposed to humidity! Argh, but love sterling silver!
- Typically, the oils in your skin will protect them from tarnishing, although this is not true for all people.
- Take jewelry off if you are cleaning with any harsh chemicals.
- If you are one to go swimming in a chlorinated pool or jump into a hot tub...DON'T!! Tarnishing will happen faster.
- Dare not go into a natural hot spring where sulfur content is high, sterling silver will turn black instantly.
- When you are done wearing a piece try to store them in an airtight container to keep moisture and oxygen away.
- NOTE: I have bought anti tarnish cloth at a fabric store to store my jewelry in when I take it to shows and it works extremely well!
~ Cleaning ~
- If your pieces do need to be cleaned, gently use a soft jewelry polishing cloth. I have polishing cloths in my shop, but you can find them other places online.
- You can also take a little warm water with some gentle soap and a soft toothbrush. Make sure to completely dry your pieces off to ensure the sheen.
- Be careful when cleaning your chains, as depending on the type of chain, they can be more delicate.
- Best to be careful when cleaning pieces with stones as well, and use a soft brush and soapy water.
- I say never using any jewelry cleaners or polishing abrasives, as they tend to make matters worse, plus most of my work is oxidized (blackened), and cleaners will take this off.
- Gold can tarnish over time if it remains in contact with your skin...like ear posts!
In general, take care of your pieces so that they last a lifetime!
Stones can break, metal can be scratched, oxidation can wear off, most things can be repaired, minus stones breaking!
I don't have many people contacting me about broken jewelry, but it does happen, and please let me know so I can fix it! Some things that I have encountered over the years:
- Earrings lost - Woo hoo! Good News ~ whether you lose one or both earrings, because I make them, I can replace them!
- Lost one? I can replace of half the cost of the original. To get the best match, it's best to send the one back to me so I can make sure that the earrings match as closely as possible.
- Ear Threaders break - the earrings with the chains are delicate as I typically tell everyone that buys from me at a show! Nevertheless, things happen. I can replace the threader or repair it. Contact me.
- Chains breaking - Ok, chains can break.
- Although I don't make them, I do test them to make sure that it is a high quality chain.
- If you feel it's a defective chain, I will replace it within the first 6 months, but not if it's due to normal wear and tear or accident.
- I can still fix it or replace it, but it will incur a charge (depending on what happened), plus shipping!